New Icing Detection Technologies from IVS
The new icing detection technologies from IVS derives from technologies originally developed for space applications. It can detect ice immediately –
- in flight, in the airspace around the plane (including ice crystals icing), and
- before takeoff, in the airframe, below snow that has accumulated during de-icing.
Immediate detection of ice can:
- Alert pilots when flying in conditions outside of the “classic” icing certification envelopes.
- Help pilots mitigate the negative effects of flight automation.
- Help aircraft manufacturers comply with the new ice detection requirements of 14 CFR Part 25.
The IVS technology also enables pilots to:
- Reliably detect ice crystals icing.
- Increase fuel efficiency and range by decreasing the use of bleed air.